"l'll put a roast on" is a common Southern phrase! Roast is an incredibly easy dinner and perfect for a big family or entertaining. Who doesn't love a good roast?
A perfect roast is tender. It will literally fall apart with a fork. It's salty and juicy, and the vegetables have taken on the flavor of the beef. I know a good roast because I've made my fair share of bad roasts! Everything from having to cut the meat to not done potatoes. If it weren't for the fact that it is one of my husband's favorite meals I probably would have given up trying to figure it out. There are a few things that can make it better, and I'll outline those below, but seriously its super easy once you know a few tricks! You just throw it all together in a pot and let it cook for a very long time and I promise you, it will be tender and super flavorful! The only thing we tend to add on the top is either red pepper flakes or sriracha for a little heat!
My Tips for a Great Roast:
1.Get the right kind of roast. I used to stand forever in front of the meat counter trying to figure out what type of roast was the right roast for a roast.... ha! I discovered boneless chuck roast makes the most tender roast. Its not too fatty either. A little fat will help with the flavor. A lot of fat will leave you picking through it for the meat!
2. Season heavily and sear! Don't miss this step! The searing really helps to make the meat flavorful.
3.Cover the roast with all the veggies. This one I learned from trial and error. A friend told me her Mama always told her the meat had to be covered with broth. I tried that and found it was way too difficult to cook because the broth kept pouring out of the top while it was simmering. I learned though, if you place all of the veggies on top, it allows the meat to cook while it steams the veggies. So yummy!
4. Don't rush it! Put it on early and let it cook slow all day long. The recipe is simple and the cooking is simple, but the cooking time is long! That though is honestly what makes it so good!
I hope y'all enjoy this delicious roast recipe! If you make it, let me know! Tag me on Instagram @mirandasouthern and I'll repost your recipe creation in my stories!
2-3lb boneless chuck roast
salt, pepper, and garlic powder
1 box beef stock
2-3 tsp garlic, chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 bag baby potatoes, halved
1 bag of baby carrots
1 packet of beefy onion soup mix
1. Heat olive oil on high in a dutch oven.
2. Heavily season chuck roast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
3. Sear 2-3 minutes, seasoning side down in hot dutch oven. While searing, season the other side of the chuck roast and flip to sear.
**If you are wanting this to cook in a crock pot, this is where you will put the roast in the crock pot and continue on with the directions. You can cook directly in the dutch oven you used for searing too.**
4. Add in beef stock, garlic, onion, potatoes, and baby carrots and top with the beefy onion soup mix. No need to stir together! The heat will do its job and mesh all the flavors together!